Looking for a Personal Support Worker to help clients live more comfortably, safely and as independently as possible. Their skilled, compassionate support can also be a great assistance to family caregivers looking for a much needed break. Personal support workers assist our clients with:
• Activities of daily living such as grooming, dressing and bathing
• Meal planning and preparation
• Mobility and transfers
• Light household duties such as cleaning, laundry and washing dishes
• Provision of special functions that have been taught, with respect to the client by a regulated health professional.
• Reporting changes in client behaviour and condition
• Demonstrated ability to recognize safety issues and follow safe work practices
• Possess a compassionate and flexible nature, and a client-centred approach to care-giving
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Requires good judgement, problem solving and assessment abilities
• A keen desire to learn
• PSW certification from an approved and recognized educational institution
• RN/RPN/DSW/HCA/Personal Attendant certification
• RN or RPN students with a minimum successful completion of 1 year
• 3 years’ experience in providing homemaking and/or personal support services, including care of seniors, children.
• Experience working in the community as a PSW is an asset.
• Ability to read, write and speak English (equivalent to grade 10 level).
• Demonstrated commitment to client and family centred care.
• Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of physical readiness test to ensure safe work practices are followed including mobility, transfers, bending, lifting, push and pulling.
• Demonstrated ability to recognize safety concerns, communicate effectively using a computer and/or mobile device.
• Requires good judgement, the ability to work independently and work cooperatively with the care-giving team.
• Effective problem solving and decision making skills to safely service clients.
• Immunization for measles, rubella and varicella, and prophylaxic immunization of Hepatitis B is strongly urged. Must be screened for tuberculosis where required (i.e. long term care facility).
• Ability to travel between assignments by public transportation or by car
• Flexible to work weekends
• Current CPR and First Aid certification is a definite asset
• Ability to speak a second language is a definite asset